Okay, so you’ve got a white tongue and smelly breath.
You’re looking for a way to cure it and get back a healthy tongue…
…and you’ve heard of this weird tongue scraping thing that’s meant to be great for cleaning your tongue.
You’ve looked around for a tongue scraper, maybe even ordered one, but you need to solve this issue quick.
You can’t afford to wait for your scraper because:
- You’ve got a big date coming up with that special someone
- People are starting to avoid you and its embarrassing
- You’re dealing with a lot of other oral hygiene problems that you just can’t get on top of
- You can’t taste your food anymore and its freaking you out!
I’m going to show you four ways on how to get rid of a white tongue and bad breath from home that you can start today!
The first thing you can do is simply brush your tongue with your toothbrush. The actual method of using your toothbrush is the same as a normal tongue scraper.
All you do is simply:
- Reach the brush to the back of your tongue
- Gently brush toward the front of your mouth
- Rinse the bacteria off of your toothbrush
- Repeat 4-5 times
Using your toothbrush, you will need to spend longer at it than if you used a tongue scraper.
The bristles of your toothbrush were designed to clean the smooth enamel of your teeth…
…and won’t be as efficient at cleaning the rough texture of your tongue.
(It needs to get into all those nooks and crannies between your taste buds)
A few other things to remember are:
- that you might wear out our toothbrush faster if the bacteria from the white coating on your tongue gets caught between the bristles of your toothbrush.
- Your toothbrush is bulkier than a scraper… It might induce the gag reflex.
You can get toothbrushes with small scrapers on the back side of them…
…or maybe your toothbrush already has one (it’s just a small upraised ridge).
Another DIY tongue scraper is to use a spoon.
Spoons are in the general shape of tongue scrapers.
You’ll want to go for a smaller tea spoon if at all possible.
This method won’t trigger the gag reflex as much as a toothbrush (assuming a small sized spoon), but there are better tongue scrapers out there.
You won’t have to worry about degradation of the spoon as when you rinse it you will get all of the bacteria off.
You use it the exact same way as for a normal tongue scraper (or the toothbrush outlined above).
…Just remember to use it with the round side facing the roof of your mouth.
Take care when using a spoon as a tongue scraper…
- They are wider and flatter than a toothbrush or tongue scraper and may obscure your view of what you are doing.
- Although they are in the general shape of a tongue scraper, spoons are not designed with their lip or ridge to be perpendicular with your tongue, which is ideal for tongue scraping. This means you are going to have to move it around quite a bit in your mouth, limiting the control you have over its movements.
I wrote another article on potential ways you could damage your tongue if you’re not careful with your scraping.
You should definitely check it out if you want to use this method.
3. Sea Salt
Sea salt is a great way to help keep your tongue clean.
Salt, being made up of tiny “rocks” has a coarse nature.
…It also has antiseptic properties.
It will maneuver its way down into your taste buds and physically dislodge the sources of mouth odor, including any bacteria or decomposing food…
…It will also help kill those bacteria.
There are two ways to use salt to cure a white tongue.
- Sprinkle some salt on your tongue
- Brush your tongue with your toothbrush
- Rinse your mouth with warm water
- Do this twice a day
or you can:
- Mix 1 tsp of salt into a glass of warm water
- Gargle this salt water around the back of your mouth thoroughly
- Spit it out and rinse
- Repeat this several times throughout the day until satisfied.
Please don’t swallow any of the salt water mixture…
…this WILL make you vomit.
This is a great method to keep up, even if you have a tongue scraper.
Use it before scraping and the plaque on your tongue won’t know what hit it.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a very popular method for treating that white coating on your tongue.
It’s especially effective nowadays, when we all have so much sugar in our diets.
Baking soda helps to re-balance the acidity levels in our mouth as well as stopping any residue from sticking to your tongue, teeth or gums.
As a bonus it also helps to remove stains from your teeth, which is why it is a major ingredient in most toothpastes.
You can use baking soda the exact same way as you use salt to clean your tongue.
(Only use 1/2 tsp per glass of water however)
However, there is a third way you can use it too:
- Get some baking powder (baking soda + cornstarch)
- Mix with some lemon juice to make a paste
- Brush your tongue with the paste (Your teeth as well, if you want)
- Rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice daily
Do this and you will be seeing results in no time…
…especially if you combine it with normal tongue scraping.
The ULTIMATE method to get rid of a white tongue
All the methods outlined above are great places to start to clean that white coating on your tongue.
It’s simply a matter of effectiveness.
Ultimately the more of the bacteria you remove from your mouth the better your breath will be…
…which is why I recommend tongue scraping.
The right tongue scraper is designed to get rid of the most amount of bacteria possible.
Invest in a good one and you won’t look back…
…bad breath problems will be a thing of the past.
I personally recommend Dr. Tung’s stainless steel tongue scraper.
Dr. Tung’s tongue scraper has a few advantages to offer, including:
- Easy to use and control
- Long lasting
- Effective and thorough cleaning
- Only 10 seconds to use
Combine this tongue scraper with the salt or baking soda method and I am absolutely certain you will be able to go about life and never worry about bad breath again.
No one will try and avoid you because of your breath anymore.
Your tongue will be a healthy pink color.
You won’t need to waste money on breath fresheners anymore.
Your oral health and everyone around you will thank you for it.